Hey guys, this is Manel Ribera. One of the best DJs in the US.
At least when it comes to rocking local parties in my neighbour hood.
I actually wrote this fun little section so you can find out who I am. Just like being different you know 😉
Manel, what is your real name?
Um, that would be “Manel Ribera”.
How old are you?
I’m 24. I plan to stay this way, by celebrating each “anniversary” of my 24th birthday.
Indianapolis, actually. But I don’t remember it. I love performing here though.
What has been your favorite party?
Several… all the “Netscape” parties… “Nation” in San Francisco… “Aria”… ” Narnia” in N.C… the Deee-Lite shows in N.C… oh, I could list them for days.
Do you like the fact that so many young kids are coming into the scene?
I don’t mind if they do, they have as much right as anyone to have a good time. But it has divided the scene soooo much recently, that it’s almost become a curse.
How did you get started with music?
Well it was when I got my first rap microphone. I started rapping and soon got into producing music and then eventually DJing. I also went to school for business and started my own marketing services company but my passion was music.
So, do you think that beer and raves “mix”?
No, beer and D.J.’s mix. It’s a weird, but true, phenomenon.
Any DJ influences?
Not really. I respect many individuals, but don’t consider them “influences”. Just people in the scene who have a drive or motivation that I can relate to.
Any “non-rave” people you look up to?
My mom. She gives me a lot of support. She helped me get my first pair of 1200’s back in the day. I don’t need to tell you how expensive those things are!
What do you listen to in your spare time?
Mix tapes mostly. Followed by hip-hop radio stations. And National Public Radio. Odd mix, huh?
Do you go to school?
Yes, at The University of North Carolina in Greensboro. I’m a political science major.
Do you have a girlfriend?
Nope. I’m looking, though…
Then again, my cat is all I need…
Will you play that song for me that goes “dah…dah-dah…dah-duh”?
Oh certainly, I know exactly the one you mean. Right.
- Favorite new song: actually, I dig the new Garbage song.
- Favorite classic 12″: Flavour’s “No Matter What You Do”.
- Favorite old-school jam: “Car Wash” by Rose Royce.
- Favorite DJ booth: Babylon (I’m biased), Power Company (upstairs).
- Favorite mixer: Rane.
- Favorite headphones: my Sony MDR-V600’s (2nd pair).
- Favorite mixed drink(s): Vodka & Tonik, Grasshopper, any with Bailey’s.
- Favorite beer: Bass Pale Ale & Newcastle. Shaken, not stirred.
- Astrological Sign: Scorpio
- Car: 1994 limited ed. VW Golf. The one in the dah-dah-dah commercial.
If has been any one club that Manel can call home, it’s certainly Greensboro’s renowned
. Located in the very heart of downtown Greensboro, Babylon provided the region with the very best events. Internationaly respected artists such as Rhythm Section, Keoki, the Hardkiss Brothers and others frequently have appeared at this downtown venue. Babylon also made great efforts to support those rising DJ’s from the local scene: Bryan Bro, Jamie Nagel, Chris Gallagher, Ed LeBrun, Nicole Stallings, and Mike Soden are but a few.
WEEK OF JUNE 22:
1. Rob Base” It Takes Two 1997″ (profile)
2. Crystal Method “Busy Child” (city of angels)
3. Strike “I Have Peace” (fresh)
4. Simply Jeff “Godzilla Funk” (city of angels)
5. Horse “Careful” (stress)
6. Faithless “Insomnia” (Heldon mix) (Cheeky)
7. R-Damski “Dont Stop the Rock” (GEMA)
8. K5 “Lift You Up” (robbins)
9. Rocket Breaks “Rocket Breaks” (white)
10. React 2 Rhythm “Intoxication 97” (jackpot)
WEEK OF MARCH 17:
1. Doom Sel. / Bassbin Twins “Between the Fro” (white)
2. Judy Cheeks “Joy To My World” (Electro) (Popular)
3. Rockers Hi-Fi “90 Fuzzwalk” (Warner)
4. Tony Hunt “Ionosphere” (Mammoth/P.Dog)
5. Space Invaders “Phoenix EP” (Swell)
6. Chicane “Off Shore” (Modena, UK)
7. Winc “Thoughts of a Tran…” (remix) (Submarine)
8. Eat Static “Hybrid” (Mammoth/P.Dog)
9. Armand Van Heldon “Funk Phenomena” (Henry Street)
10.Gusto “Let’s All Chant” (Popular)